iBook battery tip

Charles Pearce charlesp at ksu.edu
Tue Jul 15 05:57:57 PDT 2003

I cut and pasted this from the weekly MacWorld e-newsletter I receive.
Some of you may have already seen it from that source, but I thought
that, in light of the frequent battery questions that seem to occur on
this list, i would pass it along:

> TIP: Resurrecting Laptop Batteries
>
> There are some tips that are too good to pass up (and too good to not
> pass along). Such a tip was published on Ric Ford's MacInTouch website
> (www.macintouch.com) last week.
>
> MacInTouch reader Rob Wyatt has a 600MHz white iBook with an
> apparently dead battery. After doing everything he could to
> resuscitate the battery -- reseating it, zapping the iBook's PRAM, and
> resetting the Power Manager -- he booted the iBook into Open Firmware
> by pressing Command-Option-O-F at startup and first typing
> "reset-nvram," pressing the Return key, and then "reset-all."
>
> When the iBook restarted, the battery was recognized and recharged
> perfectly. Subsequent readers confirmed that the technique revived
> batteries they too had given up for dead.
>
> To see the tip at Macintouch, go to:
> http://www.macintouch.com/laptopbatt.html

Dr. Charles Pearce, Associate Director,
A. Q. Miller School of Journalism and Mass Communications
and Advertising Sequence Head
105 Kedzie Hall
Kansas State University
Manhattan, KS 66506-1501