[P1] Further notes on the ibook display problems

Jack Rodgers jackrodgers at earthlink.net
Sat Jul 19 07:23:24 PDT 2003

On Friday, July 18, 2003, at 11:45  PM, Meg St. Clair wrote:

> I feel as if this has to be a software problem given that, under
> certain
> circumstances, the screen is fine. I do seem to recall reading things
> about
> the iBooks a and projectors but can't remember them. Argh.

Sounds like your video drivers, and there are several hundred thousand
of them in OS X, might have become corrupted. Your friend might have
avoided saying, Oh yeah, there was a flash of sparks and smoke during
the demo...just joking of course. More like the connector cord was
pulled before the units were turned off.

So, you can run Diskwarrior, fsck, etc. and see if repairing the
directory fixes the problems...assuming the screen will let you.

Or, grab your install disk and reinstall your system. It would of
course be easier to just install the video drivers, for instance drag
copying them via Firewire disk mode from another iBook but I would
wonder if there would be permission problems.

Before reinstalling the system, you might drag a copy of your user
folder to another drive.

Oh, if you have a full disk backup that is bootable, you could connect
that to your iBook and boot off of that...hold down the option key at
startup. The screen should show bright and clear when you start from a
backup that is older than the loaning of the iBook.
You could also copy the video drivers from your backup.

---
Historically the ideas that tend to make everyone mad are the ideas
that become socially accepted in a decade or so.

<http://www.JackRodgers.com>
<http://www.lobatelacscale.com>
JackRodgers at earthlink.net