[P1] Word formatting in Mac, PC

Kim Gammelg å rd kim.gammelgaard at get2net.dk
Sun Jul 27 13:38:21 PDT 2003

On 25/07/03 17:27, "Brian Olesky" <brian4 at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> On 7/25/03 10:28 AM, "Pat D. Stephens" <patdart at cox-internet.com> wrote:
>
>> Well, that settles that...my switcher won't be nearly so interested in
>> switching with that info.  Her Word docs are booklets that she prints
>> to go with her products and will be a problem, that being the case.
>> Glad to know this in advance!
>
> If she does all her work on one platform, it shouldn't be a problem. The
> only reason I brought it up is because my partner and I often work on the
> same documents, and her PC and my Mac never quite see things the same way.

If it was just true that it is good to stick to one platform, Pat's switcher
may have a point, but hey, at my work we always have trouble with the
formatting even when we are just using PC's all of us there. We only use
WinNT and Win2000, and even on the same printer on the same platform we end
up with different results.

Word is not a serious page layout program, and should not be expected to
behave like one: Microsoft in a nutshell, I guess. But it works and I have
no real problems transferring files to my Mac and back, so don't let her
worry more than if she was going to buy a new Windoze-machine. That would
give her exactly the same problems ;-) (Don't forget to add the .doc,
though, or the PC will not know what to do with the file.)

One really odd "feature" when moving files from our WinNT-machines to our
Win2000 is that most of the graphics get turned upside down. I laugh at it
every single time!

Cheers,

Kim