PowerBok G3 help

Michael Adams bulk at michaeladams.org
Sun Jul 27 22:13:23 PDT 2003

Hi guys,

I know this isn't the right place to ask for help about older
PowerBooks, but I have a dead one and need it fixed quickly, but not
sure who to talk to. Is there a general mailing list for G3 PowerBooks?
There seems to be no mailing list like this one for them.

I'm guessing this could be a reasonably generic problem: when I turn the
machine on (it's a Wallstreet, 2gb, 32mb, 233Mhz, 14.1") there is quite
a long pause (at least 10s) from the chime to when the screen, hard
drive and cd drive turn on. Once this happens though, the hard drive
starts clicking repeatedly and the screen comes up with a question mark
disk.

Booting from the OS 9 cd, the hard drive doesn't show up on the desktop,
or in disk first aid or the disk util. Am I out of luck? Is the hard
drive really as dead as it sounds? It was working fine an hour ago, but
it's somewhat rather dead now. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,
--Michael.