[P1] I Got Dem Holiday Inn Blues

charlesp charlesp at ksu.edu
Mon Jul 28 20:09:15 PDT 2003

>===== Original Message From Signhelpers <mike at signhelpers.com>
=====
>I had no Airport, you silly goose. We went by car.
>
>Seriously, the problem was that THEY didn't have the numbers. Picture
>an ISP who doesn't know his IP numbers. See why I was having
problems?

>It's not like I never connect to Windoze nets. My wife's office is
>Windoze 2K and I pop right up on that.

I recently had an experience somewhat similar. I was trying add a switch
to an ethernet node in order to add some additional cpus on a
temporary basis. I had permission to do this, but the local guy was
heading out the door for vacation and didn't know much to boot. He
gave me the number of the ISP to call. They couldn't tell me the IP range
either. I finally found the number of a device that I figured was one of
the last devices added to the network and pinged several IPs above it.
They were each vacant, so I set my range to begin there and work up.
However, one computer (an eMac) refused to connect to the internet
even with a valid IP. I tried several times by manually setting the IP and
nothing would work. I could ping the number and it would return
packets and do all the stuff that looked like a connection, but it just
wouldn't create a pipe. Finally, in desperation I clicked on the little lock
icon in the bottom of the window and it accepted the change. I've never
had to do this before, but I had tried everything else except this. It
reminded me of the scene in Monsters Inc. where Boo accidently hits the
right tool on the pegboard to open the secret panel.

Bottom line: next time click the little lock icon.

Charles Pearce
(charlesp at ksu.edu)