I Got Dem Holiday Inn Blues

Charles Martin chasm at mac.com
Tue Jul 29 17:22:24 PDT 2003

> From: Signhelpers <mike at signhelpers.com>
> Subject: Re: [P1] I Got Dem Holiday Inn Blues
>
> Of course I'm still in the System 9.2 Dark Ages. However, I did just
> as you suggest. Ethernet. DHCP. Nada. Not the connection that one
> would expect. Zip. Bupkus.

Clearly this particular hotel did have some kind of bizarre setup that
is not normal. I stay at Marriott and Four Season-type properties
around the US and have never had much of a problem, and certainly
nothing like what you encountered.

The good news is that most hotels like that have a "business center" (a
fax machine, a copy machine, a computer and if you're lucky, a
coffeepot) that has a WIRED connection. If you ever run into this
problem again, try that.

> In theory we didn't need the IP number, but faced with the dead line,
> it seemed like the next logical place to look.

Could it have just been that room, I wonder ...

Even a "dead" connection should return SOME kind of IP address
(self-generated if necessary) ...

> I keep threatening to attack OSX, but my early attempts were futile,
> primarily because I have so much old software that I was running in
> Classic all the time and couldn't see much point in stacking one OS
> on top of the other. It must be time to move into the light.
>
> Thanks for the input.

Thanks for taking it in the spirit intended. When people post stories
like this there's a natural tendency to assume they are overlooking
something obvious and/or they don't have a lot of experience. Doesn't
look like that was the case this time.

As for X, I'd have to say that since Jag came out it has officially
been time to look into either upgrading to it or buying a new machine
if needed. Panther is still enough months off (probably October at the
dead earliest by the looks of things) that it's worth buying again at
that time, and the results I've seen with it on older equipment (by
that I mean G3 machines, non-Quartz-Extreme machines etc) have been
truly impressive.

_Chas_

Claiming that the Macintosh is inferior to Windows because most people
use Windows is like saying that all other restaurants are inferior to
McDonald's.