iBook trade-up worth it? -- Was iBook 500 Jaguar and Calculator

Ruffin Bailey rufbo1 at comcast.net
Wed Jul 30 18:44:04 PDT 2003

>> I am looking for tips to make OS X *seem* faster.  I am particularly
>> annoyed by the split second it takes to open up new windows or pull
>> down menus. OS 9 certainly seemed snappier.  I have already turned down
>> the font smoothing as much as the controls allow.
>>
> I'm assuming you must have one of the iBooks that can't take advantage
> of Quartz Extreme, because that seems to solve these sorts of
> complaints.

Yep, the 500 doesn't do QE, much to my chagrin.  It really is the nicest laptop I've owned (including a 2 GHz Pentium 4), but a real shame that it's a bit on the slow side, especially in iPhoto.

I've read that putting the display's colors down to Thousands helps.  I've done it, but often wonder if I'm not just tricking myself into thinking things are faster.

Eventually I think my iBook is going to hit eBay for a faster tower, which is a real shame.  Nice sized laptop, great battery life, comfortable keyboard, great screen... just a touch slow.

Anybody with 500 MHz iBook and now 800-900 MHz experience have any comments on speed increases?  These things keep their value well, and I keep contemplating a new low-end iBook/trade-up, though I'd hate to lose the CD-R.  And I'm afraid
it'd still be a touch slow for Netbeans (netbeans.org).

Ruffin Bailey

--
This message sent by an unregistered version of The Digest Handler.
If you read email digests, you NEED The Digest Handler!