[P1] To Partition or...! Virtual Memory

Jack Rodgers jackrodgers at earthlink.net
Sun Jun 1 05:03:30 PDT 2003

None of the replies and explanations mentioned virtual memory, an OS X
default and an OS 9 option, and how it is effected by partitioning. I
just checked my 30 Gig drive and it has a partition of 2.6 Gigs, or 10%.

I would imagine, but don't know for sure, that if you create partitions
that are quickly filled up, you will run into virtual memory problems
which may cause slower performance or other problems. There are also
scratch files that may run into disk space problems. Video and graphic
programs need lots of scratch space or they run slowly, maybe crash. I
have yet to  read anyone discuss this possibility.

Another problem is stability of the disk. I have had partitioned drives
fail but not after I erased the drive and set it to only one partition.
I don't know whether that experience is common or an anomaly.

The idea of being able to reinstall OS X from OS 9 partition seems a
bit odd since the OS X installer does not run in OS 9 but reboots from
the CD whether you are in X or 9. Am I wrong? Also a partition may be
more likely to become corrupted than the hard drive and I have
experienced several partition failures but no hd failures other than my
original 20 Meg drive on an SE just after the 90 day warranty expired.

I don't have 9 installed and run only OS X. So, I avoid the issue of
separate partitions for the two OSs. The only reason I would consider
partitioning is to download video but now that Apple has sorted out the
firewire problems to some degree, I can download to an external drive.

I backup my internal to an external LaCie Pocket drive. If I need to, I
can boot from that and then backup to the internal.

Unless you are really forced to run OS 9, the best move may be to not
install it. And, reading of the problems people are having with fonts,
this might prevent a few. Installing it on an external drive for
emergency use only might be a good choice.

Having separate drives for applications and documents is a much better
idea than having separate partitions but, of course, not that practical
with a Powerbook. Maybe some day Apple will have an epiphany and
replace the seldom used cd/dvd drive with another hard drive or at
least give us the option to do so. External burners are faster, way
faster. Look how small the drive is in the iPod...

Google 'Drive Failure' and then add your drive manufacturer such as
'IBM Drive Failure' or 'Maxtor drive failure'  or "Macintosh drive
failure".

---
Using a Merlin C201 Sprint Wireless Modem Card in a Titanium Powerbook
G4 and getting 123.1 kilobits per second downloads...almost 4X faster
than dialup. The salesman said it wouldn't work in a Mac...

JackRodgers at earthlink.net
http://www.JackRodgers.com
http://www.LobateLacScale.com