[P1] To Partition or...! Virtual Memory

Tom R. no spam tr5374 at csc.albany.edu
Sun Jun 1 09:34:51 PDT 2003

1. I noted I had a partition for temp files, which I used for like
browser cache files, etc, and a partition for swap files.  The
idea being these are files which get cause a lot of disk activity,
and having them in a well-defined disk area with no other content
there makes that activity faster. Ie ~= scratch files.

2. (How can you have a 2.6 GB "partition" you seem not to have known
about?  Cf for swap partition--ie virtual memory--I myself followed
one usual unix rule and made it approx same size as my RAM.)

On Sun, 1 Jun 2003, Jack Rodgers wrote:
2.
> None of the replies and explanations mentioned virtual memory, an OS X
> default and an OS 9 option, and how it is effected by partitioning. I
> just checked my 30 Gig drive and it has a partition of 2.6 Gigs, or 10%.

1.
> I would imagine, but don't know for sure, that if you create partitions
> that are quickly filled up, you will run into virtual memory problems
> which may cause slower performance or other problems. There are also
> scratch files that may run into disk space problems. Video and graphic
> programs need lots of scratch space or they run slowly, maybe crash. I
> have yet to  read anyone discuss this possibility.
 . . .