[P1] To Partition or...! Virtual Memory

Kim Gammelg å rd kim.gammelgaard at get2net.dk
Mon Jun 2 12:01:53 PDT 2003

I had this problem some weeks ago, when I had a 5-10 of programs running on
my 320 MB iBook with less than a GB of free space on my  main partition. The
machine slowed down to a crawl as the VM grabbed more and more(I was running
a bad beta version of something with a memory leak), and although I was able
to switch apps using the mouse, the iBook was so slow responding, that I
could not even ssh into it from my iMac, as I kept getting timeouts. The
solution was to quit a couple of apps using ctrl-clicking in the Dock (I
went for Safari and iCab first, as I know that the browsers eat far more
memory, as they keep changing their window content). I was not able to get
the quitting window up using cmd-alt-esc, as this obviously demanded more
memory than there was available, just to draw that window. After quitting a
few apps, everything went alright, and I was able to have my iBook running
for almost three weeks without any problems, not even loosing any
preferences, AFAIK.

Cheers,

Kim