Nevo, Bluetooth and GPS

Jack Rodgers jackrodgers at earthlink.net
Tue Jun 3 06:38:47 PDT 2003

I have installed VPC 6 and Windows XP on my TiBook 667 and find that
the syncronization using Active Sync is very reliable and easy. I
simply place the iPaq 5450 in its cradle and all of the syncs I have
set up begin immediately.

I just discovered a new toy on the iPaq...Nevo. I have been curious
since purchase about what it might do and since i was backing up my
Powerbook using Retrospect, I took a few minutes to play with Nevo.
Turns out it is a device controller and I can use it to turn my TV on
and off, change channels, etc. And, if I ever get the time I can use
the layout with all of the channel names to set up each channel so I
only have to click on the logo.

I haven't found any GPS software that runs native in OS X so I was
forced to buy VPC.  Which has lead to the new Earthmate GPS with soon
to be delivered bluetooth. Unfortunately, bluetooth doesn't work in VPC
nor does GPS, it would seem. Streets and Maps doesn't see the USB
connection to the Earthmate and DeLorme seems to have a problem also.

There are three maybe four soon to arrive GPS units that use Bluetooth.
They are smaller than some cell phones and at least two of them have
rechargeable Lion batteries.

Once again the versatility of the Powerbook is demonstrated as well as
its frustrating limitations. Of course the limitations of Streets and
Trips regarding the virtual serial port that the Earthmate would use,
is a Streets and Trips thing, or is it?

---
Using a Merlin C201 Sprint Wireless Modem Card in a Titanium Powerbook
G4 and getting 123.1 kilobits per second downloads...almost 4X faster
than dialup. The salesman said it wouldn't work in a Mac...

JackRodgers at earthlink.net
http://www.JackRodgers.com
http://www.LobateLacScale.com