[P1] To Partition or...! Virtual Memory

Jack Rodgers jackrodgers at earthlink.net
Tue Jun 3 06:56:01 PDT 2003

On Tuesday, June 3, 2003, at 03:52  AM, Charles Martin wrote:

> Note how much better that is than the way OS 9 handles "RAM full" or
> "disk full" situations. :)

I've mentioned before about how Word 4, many many years ago (think of
scrolling text on your screen shrinking to a point at the top to give
the allusion of distance) turned into the slowness champion and
required minutes to perform what used to be instantaneous, well kind
of, actions. Turns out I had like 12K free disk space and word was
paging in and out of that 12K as scratch space. I deleted a lot of
unneeded files and freed up considerable drive space and word ceased
acting funky after I reopened it.

I can imagine the excitement of opening a 350 Meg photoshop file with
12K free disk space.

---
CBS, ABC, NBC and other networks are hereby awarded the "Who Needs
Memorial Day!" trophy. Please send any correspondence about this to the
network presidents.

JackRodgers at earthlink.net
http://www.JackRodgers.com
http://www.LobateLacScale.com