[P1] Weird wireless, router, reload problem ?!?!?

Tom R. no spam tr5374 at csc.albany.edu
Tue Jun 3 09:24:20 PDT 2003

"Can't find server" messages typically mean the internet connection
isn't working.  Try Network Utility>the Ping tab, and ping the
address you're trying to connect to in your browser.  If ping
doesn't work, there's presumptively no connection to the address.
In the USA, you'd 1st do a quick ping to eg www.yahoo.com, since
you should bed able to assume such address is working.  If ping
gives results for Yahoo, that implies the problem is with the
specific web address you're otherwise trying to reach, because
successful ping has verified network connectivity between you and
at least Yahoo, which includes between you and the general
internet.

The Traceroute tab gives output showing the specific intermediate
steps between your computer and the address you enter.  You can
read this to see where the route fails from your computer to the
address you want.  So if ping to Yahoo doesn't work, try traceroute
to Yahoo and see how far packets get from your computer.  If all
you see are lines of "* * *", nothing's being found anywhere
outside your computer, in which case try traceroute to "localhost",
ie to your own computer.  If that doesn't produce a line showing
you being able to connect to your own computer in like less than
1 millisecond, you have a problem with your own computer.  If you
get a line showing a connection to the ISDN router/modem (I assume
traceroute would show such, but haven't ever used ISDN so can't
say for sure), but showing no IP addresses after that, it would
seem to mean the problem is the connection between that router and
the ISP.  And so on.

Network Utility is a gui for standard command line commands.  If the
tech people for the ISP haven't checked or had you check these, they
really don't have *any* clue, these are the 1st things to try.

(I'll note that sometimes traceroute seems to choke, and I have to
do a ping 1st to find a route, or vice versa, on my OS 10.1.4 iBook,
which has been too irregular for me to figure out any definite
explanation for and not worth the trouble until after I upgrade to
10.2.)

On Wed, 4 Jun 2003, Peter Nacken wrote:
 . . .
> Now .. This setup worked great under modem ... But now I have often hard
> times accessing websites .. Especially on the iBooks connected to the
> airport signal .. While there is no problem with Chats and email ...
> Websites often give me "can't find server" messages .. I keep clicking that
> Url and after 3 - 21 times later it actually pops up ...
>
> I cannot even begin to fathom what is going on there ... The people on the
> ISP side have NO clue what I am talking about (they claim to support mac,
> but no one there has an idea .. When saying "I cannot even get google or
> yahoo, I get a call back later 30 minutes "we checked, google and yahoo are
> working fine" .. Whaaaa .. Life on the island :)
 . . .