[P1] Weird wireless, router, reload problem ?!?!?

Tom R. no spam tr5374 at csc.albany.edu
Tue Jun 3 17:30:10 PDT 2003

On Wed, 4 Jun 2003, Peter Nacken wrote:
 . . .
> Well .. Network util is nice .. But in some ways just replicates what I see
> in the browser ... Sometimes I get lots of funky results .. Must of the time
> I get "host not found" .. And no info where it chokes ..
 . . .

What does traceroute show?  How it works is: it makes a
connection to the 1st node it finds, and reports back its
IP address; then to the next node, and reports back its IP;
and so on step by step untill the address you specified is
reached.  So if traceroute always gets to a certain IP
address, then sometimes no further, that would be the
trouble point.  For any given run of traceroute, it
will always go through the same set of nodes; but from
run to run a different route may be followed, that being
one of the fundamental strengths of the internet.  I
don't know, but maybe one of the problems may be (you're
in like Samoa ?? IIRC) not much bandwidth from your
general locale to the wider internet world; or just
limited bandwidth available from your ISP.  The tech
support you report saying they don't see a problem could
be clueless guys having priority access to the bandwidth,
or loyal ISP employees covering up for limited bandwidth.

Or who knows, did you once report there was an ISP
monoply where you are, maybe related to the govt or to
whoever runs the govt?  Might they have some kind of
like censorship in effect?

If you find it inconvenient to read the output of
traceroute in the Network Utility window, just enter the
command "traceroute <web address you want to check>" in
a terminal window.  If you want to save it to study, you
can copy paste from the terminal window into an
editor/word processor.