[P1] It's the fan, again....

Larry Kollar kollar at alltel.net
Thu Jun 5 19:54:16 PDT 2003

> I have a 600Mhz iBook, and it's never been as hot as it's been
> recently.
>
> The case underneath became too hot to touch - I'm putting it down to
> being in Iowa in June (visiting girlfriend) so it's in a warmer
> environment and can't cool off as effectively, and the power flavour
> here is different - 120 instead of 230v, so the adapter is drawing
> more current (but I can't see it heating the iBook as a result of > this.

I don't think Iowa weather is going to cause that kind of problem --
I'm in Georgia, with a 900MHz iBook, and the only time the computer
even gets warm is when I have the AC adapter plugged in (charging a
battery tends to heat it up). I think Fran Dollinger might be right
about the wall power -- it could be flaky. It's easy to check the
voltage (Radio Shack has cheap voltmeters) and if it's too low or too
high, I could see potential problems.

Anyway, I worked at home today, the iBook was going almost all day
except for a break at lunch, and it never got as hot as the stinky
400MHz Dell laptop (office machine) does. The adapter got warm, but not
hot.

--
Larry Kollar    k  o  l  l  a  r  @  a  l  l  t  e  l  .  n  e  t
"The hardest part of all this is the part that requires thinking."