Newbie tnx! (+ partition-question)

Charles Martin chasm at mac.com
Fri Jun 6 23:53:49 PDT 2003

> From: "Tom R. no spam" <tr5374 at csc.albany.edu>
>
> No offense, but:  Most users "should" leave it, or "do" leave
> it ...?  (Myself and enough others who have posted here being
> partitioners, tho not pushing anyone else to)

Most users SHOULD leave it the way Apple ships it to them. While
partitioning is not particularly difficult, it's not something
non-techie should feel they have to do, and it's utterly and completely
unnecessary for 90% of users (statistics courtesy the top of my head).
:)

Unless you are working in video or want to run multiple (ie more than
the two Mac file systems) OSes or have some other valid reason to
separate things, you save a lot of time and effort by just leaving it
alone. If you feel you need to partition and you are comfortable doing
it, by all means go ahead. How nice that Apple doesn't try to "force"
us one way or the other!

But for typical use, partitioning is probably a waste of time.

_Chas_

"Here is the thing you will learn from really using an OS X Macintosh,
and must somehow accept on faith if that's what it takes to get you to
Switch: Apple makes design decisions based on a sincere desire to make
your life better." -- Glenn McDonald