[P1] Backpack?

Tom R. no spam tr5374 at csc.albany.edu
Mon Jun 9 22:11:06 PDT 2003

I'm happy enough with my JanSport, "Enigma" model name, but I
don't see it in a look at the JanSport web site now.  I bought it
a year ago.  Size spec is 1600 cu. in.; weight wasn't much if any
over 2 lbs, as I recall, and it feels _light_ empty; size now
measured as 19.5" X 12" X 7.75" (+ 1.5" half-height front pocket).
It's kind of like the current Brain or PC Port.

It has a full size, top zip, padded back section; a full size,
padded-only-on-the-surface-dividing-it-from-the-back-section middle
section, an approx half-height front pocket, and a small pocket on
the outer/front surface of the front pocket (where "front" is as
viewed by someone standing behind you while you wear it, ie what
they see facing them; and "back" is what's closest to your back
while you wear the rucksack).  There's a loose approx 1" thick
foam pad to fit the bottom of the padded laptop section (the
back section), to supplement the thinnish padding otherwise all
around that section.  I slip my 12" iBook into a plastic bubble
padded mailer which I keep (11.5" X 14" size fits very nicely) in
the laptop section.  I bought it after trying a couple other
brands, and looking at all I could find.  Tho not the most
thickly padded (a Targus and an IBM were best for that, but
heavy and clunky), it met my desire for light weight, appearance,
and sufficiency of padding for my reasonably sturdy, new iBook.
I've done a lot of rucksacking (anyone who's been a student
who hasn't?) and backpacking (and have at one time designed and
made some of my own equiptment), and travelling.  And the
Enigma's doing fine for me now.