[P1] Newbie

Stan Marks swmarks at allvantage.com
Sat Jun 14 11:24:35 PDT 2003

on 6/14/03 12:49 PM, Joe Jones at joham at jo-ham.com wrote:

> The 600Mhz iBook doesn't have the necessary graphics welly to run
> Quartz Extreme - the first iBook that could do that was the 700Mhz one
> with the 16Mb card.
>
> The 600 has an 8Mb Rage in it - much to my annoyance, since as well as
> being the last model of iBook to be made that doesn't use QE, it's a
> bit slow with Quake 3 Arena - although still playable if you reduce the
> resolution.
>
> Joe

Actually, the iBook 600 you're describing was the *first* incarnation. Apple
later upgraded that model with 16MB of VRAM and the Radeon graphics card. :)

I have the 700 MHz model, but, when I first started thinking about upgrading
to an iBook (from my old PB1400), I had made up my mind that the later model
iBook 600 would be my "minimum standard", if I couldn't justify buying a
newer, faster one.

Stan Marks