[P1] Great apps that one should not be without

Jeanne Douglas hlwdjsd at pacbell.net
Sat Jun 14 13:25:09 PDT 2003

At 11:04 AM +0100 6/14/03, Richard McKay sent into the aether:
>Might need my flame suit from here on but before reading the following
>please understand I am neither pro nor anti American.
>
><flame on>
>
>> "With the introduction of the new iTunes Music Store, we've now built
>> the  first real complete ecosystem for the digital music age. We've got
>> a way to buy music online legally that's fantastic -- it's better than
>> any other way to acquire music. We've got a way manage music with the
>> iTunes  Jukebox, which is the best in the world. And we've got a way to
>> listen to music on the go with the iPod, which is the most popular MP3
>> player in the world and one of the coolest things in the world. So
>> we've really got, from one end to another, a complete solution for
>> digital music. We're the only people in the world to do this, so we
>> feel great about it." -- Steve Jobs, Time Magazine, 30-April-03

>Sorry, but just have to comment on this sig. I do have a Mac, iTunes and an
>iPod but my ecosystem is missing a piece....I want my Music store too! I
>hope Apple will recognise the other 15/16ths of the worlds population. We
>still do not have full iPhoto features or Sherlock functions...and now this.
>I am waiting for Macs to start coming painted with the US flag on them and a
>disclaimer sticker stating this product works great in the US. In other
>countries YMMV. Granted it works fine without these additions however, I
>like most other humans would like my cake and be able to eat it too...
>
><flame off>

You ARE aware, I hope, that this has nothing to do with Apple and everything to
do with the record companies. Apple can't allow anyone outside the US to buy
from the iTunes store wtihout permission from those companies and we've all
been seeing how nuts they all are now (see some of the actions by the RIAA on
their behalf, like for instance
<http://www.techtv.com/news/politicsandlaw/story/0,24195,3444548,00.html>).

The record companies are obviously not entirely sure about the whole music
download thing. Look how quickly Apple closed off the hole that allowed
streaming of the downloads. Maybe when the companies see that they _can_ make
money from the iTunes store, they'll allow it to sell to people outside the US.

Jeanne

=====