[P1] OS X on an original Tangerine iBook

Jason Bennett jpbennett at mac.com
Sun Jun 15 22:44:28 PDT 2003

On Sunday, June 15, 2003, Wai Lee wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am looking to upgrade my other ibook, an original tangerine version,
> up to OS X.  I have the original hard drive .  I understand that this
> will work, but with modest performance and limited screen size.  If I
> were to do this, how much hard disk space would I use just to get OS X
> installed?  Or, what can I cut out of a typical installation in order
> to maximize disk space?  Excel, Word, Mail, and Safari are the main
> applications that I use.
>
> Thanks in advance everyone,
>
> Wai Lee

Wai,

In addition to what Eugene suggested, I would try also consider
removing the extra language packages you will not use when installing
Jaguar. There is an option early in the installation process where you
can specify which languages you want installed -- the default is to
install them all. By specifying the languages you want, this will help
save space on your hard drive.

Also, I would consider leaving OS 9 behind. From the sounds of it, your
favourite applications are OS X native, so dropping OS 9 will save you
about 300 MB or so.

Good luck,

Jason