[P1] Upgrade 10.1 -> 10.2 : login failed

Francis DERIVE Francis.Derive at wanadoo.fr
Mon Jun 16 13:03:54 PDT 2003

	Allan,

	To night, I am safe from erasing the 3GB Tangerine ibook drive and
reinstal the system : I used install disk 1 to "reset password", this time
no more the one of the deffective user but the one of root. Then I was able
to log as root and to see the rest of everything.

Once more I went back to reset password of the deffective user, the name of
which was introduced with a blank character as "<first name><blank
character><lastname>". The password is only attached digits - no spaces. I
was refused to change the password when I changed the login name by erasing
the above blank character and had a message to do it through the "trousseau
d'acces" app "which is in the utility folder" ( I don't know how this app
is said in english - the french langage has been installed for this
computer which is my son's ).

	As I was logged as root the "trousseau d'acces" app was showing empty as
it is so for the user root, and as I cannot log as the deffective user, I
cannot see anything of it from this app.

	Well, the more ennoying part is away. I will take time later to re-read
about access controls and this "trousseau d'acces" app on Mac Os X. I will
install a 30 GB drive on this Tangerine to make it live still brilliant a
long time, and get to the point where I can show my son he can read divx
films with his Mac.

	I thank you for your king involvement in the solution of my problem.

	Francis.

<http://roadtools.com>