a couple observations...

andy letterspackages at telus.net
Tue Jun 24 21:31:05 PDT 2003

    I've had my iBook 800 for about two months now, having picked it
up just after the speed bumps led to price drops on the iceBook models.
I haven't yet upgraded the stock memory configuration, having instead
focused on an AirPort card and third party base station.

    Looking back over the past couple months, this has totally changed
the way I work with my computers... opting to work from the apartment
balcony or from bed, or one of the many cafe's just a block or two
away...
my PC has been basically ignored in that time-- much to the joy of my
girlfriend, who finally gets a turn. I've found XP to have become
instantly
awkward to use, (even more so than before!)

    There are only a couple things I haven't been able to do with the
iBook--
change settings on my ISP account, or apply for a student loan online--
both 'required' a windows version of IE. I'd just log into my XP box via
Remote Desktop Connection and do it that way. No problems, there,
but hopefully Mac support is coming.

    The one thing that does bother me is a mild aesthetic problem, and
this
is more nitpicking on my part than anything else-- the screen bezel or
frame seems to be warped, so that when closed, it's noticeably bent:
http://www3.telus.net/public/araad/ (see photos). It came this way out
of the box, and I didn't think to take photos at the time, so if it's
becoming
more pronounced, it's happening slowly. I think, sadly, the gap is
growing.

    I've always lifted the screen by the centre-- just behind the latch.
I lift the
laptop itself on either side of the keyboard. Has anyone else had this
happen? Am I stuck with it?

    Otherwise, as I'd said, I'm quite satisfied-- it's easily the best
purchase I've
made in a long time. I look forward to Panther-- maybe I'll buy that RAM
upgrade, then.

    andy