iBook SE freeze problem

Aaron aarons at usermail.com
Sun Mar 2 20:10:07 PST 2003

I just joined this list. I don't have an ibook myself, but a friend of mine does and he has an urgent problem. It's urgent because he and his wife both need their iBook -- it's their only computer -- for work they're doing. So I'm taking the special step of joining this list to ask for help. (I'm already on <powerbooks at mail.maclaunch.com>. If I get a useful answer on either list, I'll share it with the other.)

 I believe the iBook is an SE because the family number is M2453.

Problem is it's totally frozen. The screen is dark and there is no sound.  The CD-ROM drive (which has a disk in it) does not open.

But the following are what makes it strange, at least to me:

1) The green light below the screen is on.

2) The green light between the F4 and F5 keys is on.

3) The Caps Lock key light is on.

4) No key combination that I've thought of trying (including command-control-power and shift-fn-control-power) does anything to it. The lights that are on stay on and nothing else happens.

5) The lights go off when I remove the battery, but after leaving the battery out for 15 minutes and putting it back in, the situation is as it was before removing the battery.

My friend knows nothing about computers except to use them, and never upgraded the machine, so it's as it was when he bought it new, including whatever OS came with it. (9.0.x?)

Any suggestions?