Archive and Install

Jay Boshara jboshara at mchsi.com
Sat Mar 8 14:19:45 PST 2003

Mark:

First of all, I have to disagree with one part of this thread.  A Clean
Install WILL wipe your drive, especially if you do it right, and it probably
WILL fix your problem (unless the problem is due to some third party
software that you also reinstall).  Archive and Install does NOT wipe your
drive -- it leaves your non-system files and apps intact -- but it also
probably will NOT fix your problem.

Zeroing out your drive and doing a clean install is your best option, and
it's easy (but time consuming).  First, backup everything that's important
(if you need guidance on what and how to backup, contact me off-list).
Then, restart with the Jaguar CD (hold down the 'C' button while
restarting), and under the File menu click on Disk Utility.  When it opens,
click on your hard drive icon in the left window, click on the Erase tab in
the right window, then select Mac OS Extended as the Volume Format and name
your drive.  Make sure to select Install Mac OS 9 Drivers so that current
versions of DiskWarrior, etc., will work when you need them.  Then click
Erase.  You have just zeroed out your HD.  Next, after you close the Disk
Utility the Installer should open again automatically.  Install Jaguar (a
Custom Install should give you the option to not install all the extra
languages; the Custom Install option does not appear until just before the
actual installation begins -- look for the Custom Install button to appear
near the bottom left side of the Install window).  Then restart and use
Software Update to bring you back up to the latest version.  Then install
your apps and files, run fsck for the hell of it, and you should be done.
All this will take at least 2 hours on a G3 and 1.5 on a G4.  Good luck.