[P1] Bandwidth

Rick Banuelos teasethedog at mac.com
Thu Mar 13 21:46:46 PST 2003

On Thursday, March 13, 2003, at 08:38  PM, Charles Martin wrote:

> There's absolutely no way in advance to calculate this. Too many
> variables. For example, if your clips feature and female breasts you
> should plan on at least 10 times the bandwidth a non-breast clip would
> get. :)

ROTFLMAO. Really.

> Also we don't know how extensively the site will be publicized or
> who's linking to it/driving traffic that way, etc.

True, but I can try to make projections based on how many times the
film name is trotted out to potential viewers.

> You should be aware that you don't have compress the clips as much as
> you may think. Thanks to Quicktime's streaming technology in versions
> 5 and particularly 6, even a HUGE clip can be seen at dialup speeds.
> The trick is not to compress the picture quality, but to make a
> "reference movie" (a very tiny file that senses what speed the viewer
> is working with) which automagically points to either a
> highly-compressed, small-pic version of the clip (for dialup) or a
> less-compressed, nicer and larger version (for broadband).

A good thing to know. Thank you.

> Let's say for argument's sake that the sum total of these clips is
> 60MB, divided equally. If all your visitors average watching at least
> two of the clips all the way through, and you get 100 visitors a day,
> that's 40MBx100 = 4GB daily.
>
> Your best bet would be to talk with your bandwidth provider and make
> arrangements for them to set a bandwidth limit and CLOSE the site
> temporarily if the bandwidth is exceeded (with a notice to try back
> later). Otherwise, they will happily serve up all the visitors you can
> handle but will bill YOU for the "surprise" bandwidth, and this can
> hurt BIG TIME -- remember back in the 80s when the only way to run up
> an $1000 phone bill was to call phone-sex services? Hah!
>
> _Chas_

Ah, how I miss the '80s. Madonna, junk-bonds, me graduating from
diapers... wait, what?

Thanks for the helpful info, Chas.

Rick

--
"If we fight a war and win it with H-bombs, what history will remember
is not the ideals we were fighting for but the methods we used to

--Hans A. Bethe