[P1] Classic still won't start

Jack Rodgers jackrodgers at earthlink.net
Fri Mar 21 18:46:11 PST 2003

On Friday, March 21, 2003, at 05:44  PM, Joyce Ranieri wrote:

>> When you are in OS X, you do not boot classic you 'Start Classic'.
>> Open
>> the Classic Preference panel verify that there is an available System
>> Folder for OS 9. You can then see the other options and even try them.
> Yes, there is a valid system folder -- otherwise I wouldn't be able to
> boot in 9.2.

There are two questions here, Can you reboot into 9.2 and when you are
in X can you open the Classic Preference Panel and see your OS 9 system
as a high lightable line in the scrolling list. Since you aren't
interested in semantics and thus did not make a clear answer, I will
ask again.

The reason for the question is that if you cannot start classic from
the Preference pane, then you probably have a corrupt Start Classic
file, one with bad permissions or a corrupt preference file.

One easy try is to open Disk Utility and select your OS X volume and
then click on Repair Preferences. This resolves a ton of problems that
can drive people crazy and I am beginning to think it is almost
required after a freeze, crash or whenever one begins to have problems.

---

Simple Solutions for Simple Minds.  Jack Rodgers for President.

jackrodgers at earthlink.net
http://www.jackrodgers.com