[P1] ibook slow rebuilding

Jack Rodgers jackrodgers at earthlink.net
Sat Mar 22 08:48:37 PST 2003

On Saturday, March 22, 2003, at 01:27  AM, Bill Koepp wrote:

> Yes, I'm running OS9, I love it. I guess I'll have to live with a
> slow desktop rebuild......

OS 9 has several easily corrupted preferences that I always tossed out
when I encountered problems. In fact, one old technique was to drag the
permissions folder to the desktop and then restart.

Try that and restart and then rebuild the desktop.

If still slow, then you can replace the old pref folder.

Next, turn off all extensions but the apple extensions and try
rebuilding the desktop.

If still slow then do a find in the Finder and search for hidden or
invisible applications.

Look for the files that sound like they are desktop database files.
(You might also have a virus that disguises itself and a desktop file).
Drag them to the trash and you will be asked if you want to blah blah.
I think the Mac automatically restarts and rebuilds these files. If
not, restart after they are deleted.

You might feel more comfortable listing the names of the files on here
before deleting them.

It's possible that these files are corrupt and the Finder cannot fix
them.

If still no luck, look on versiontracker for one of the applications
that deletes the databases and rebuilds the files. Be sure to have a
good backup before using one.

Of course, running Diskwarrior will probably fix any such problems.

---

Simple Solutions for Simple Minds.  Jack Rodgers for President.

jackrodgers at earthlink.net
http://www.jackrodgers.com