[P1] internet speed?

Jack Rodgers jackrodgers at earthlink.net
Tue May 6 02:46:21 PDT 2003

On Tuesday, May 6, 2003, at 05:11  AM, Joost van de Griek wrote:

>> I went back and tried the speed test again on both computers and
>> still came up
>> with approx. the same results...this file size is the same no matter
>> what and
>> the internet, yes, I know what you're saying there but it seems as
>> though I
>> would get different readings at differing times of day but it's still
>> holding
>> that 1/2 of the speed of the 7300. I take it that the difference in
>> processor
>> speed of 200MB is not enough to overcome the 512K L2 ??

You may be using modem scripts, assuming dialup, that set the speed of
the modem's link with your computer to two different settings. You may
have different settings for the links to other modems, say one that is
set for 56K and one that is set for 28K. You may have selected an
incompatible modem script for the mac with the slower download.

I'm not sure if Quicktime is involved but you may have designated two
different speeds for that.

Processor speed is not an issue on dial-up since the transfer speed is
so slow. I used to max out a connection with a 6800 processor. Once you
can do that it doesn't matter if your are using a processor that is 100
times faster.

If you are using an airport to connect the book and ethernet for the
7300, then the answer is obvious. Airport is slower than ethernet.

Perhaps more info about your setup will provide a clue.

---
For Sale on eBay: DVD Studio Pro and Final Cut Express
<www.jackrodgers.com/ebay.html>

JackRodgers at earthlink.net
http://www.JackRodgers.com
http://www.LobateLacScale.com