[P1] internet speed?

Fran Dollinger fran at dollingers.com
Tue May 6 08:36:30 PDT 2003

On Tuesday, May 6, 2003, at 02:11 AM, Joost van de Griek wrote:

>> I went back and tried the speed test again on both computers and
>> still came up
>> with approx. the same results...this file size is the same no matter
>> what and
>> the internet, yes, I know what you're saying there but it seems as
>> though I
>> would get different readings at differing times of day but it's still
>> holding
>> that 1/2 of the speed of the 7300. I take it that the difference in
>> processor
>> speed of 200MB is not enough to overcome the 512K L2 ??
>
> L2 cache has little, if anything, to do with network throughput. You
> could
> start by stating what kind of internet connection you use, otherwise
> any
> speed rating you post is meaningless to list members.
>
> What OS are you running on each of these computers? The difference is
> most
> likely in the way TCP/IP settings are tweaked on each machine, along
> with
> other low-level settings.
>
> ,xtG
> .tsooJ

I have microwave high speed at 512K (supposedly) coming through a cable
modem. The 7300 is upgraded to G3/400 1MB backside cache/ 4gig Seagate
HD/ 256K RAM/ 2MB vram running OS 9.2.2/ Netscape 7.02. I'm using the
built-in Ethernet. The iBook is the 600MHz 512K L2/ 20gig HD/ 256K RAM/
16MB video?/running at the time of testing... OS 10.2.5/ Netscape 7.02.
That's all the specifics I can come up with at the moment....I'll go
look for the TCP/IP settings and hook up the 7300 to check it's
settings as well....
Thanks,
Fran