[P1] Is it possible to connect to a Windows shared printer?

Fran Dollinger fran at dollingers.com
Tue May 6 09:38:12 PDT 2003

On Tuesday, May 6, 2003, at 08:21 AM, Mark Kippert wrote:

> Fran Dollinger on 5/5/03 12:53 PM wrote:
>
>> I would think so....my husband has a PC Win98 and we bought a USB
>> printer share device and we are using the same printer (hp deskjet
>> 3320) w/o any problem. I'm running 10.2.5 on my iBook 600MHz dual USB.
>>

> If I understand you correctly, you're saying that you share the
> printer by
> simply unplugging it from the Windows machine and plugging it into your
> iBook when you need to use it.
>
> The printer I'm referring to is permanently connected to a PC in a
> different
> office from mine and is sharing the printer with other Windows
> machines on
> the network.
>
> I would like to know if I can access this shared printer. I'm able to
> do
> file sharing with Windows thanks to OSX, now I'm hoping that I can also
> connect to a shared printer.

No, we have a Lin-X-cel USB Sharing device. The port on the back cables
to the printer and then both computers (his PC & my iBook) are cabled
into the front 2 USB ports. If the printer you need to use has a free
USB port or if you can split the one in use by adding the USB Sharing
device then you can connect into the network. At least it seems
plausible....has anybody else responded on this?

Fran