[P1] the whirring is back! was:new ibook problem...

Fran Dollinger fran at dollingers.com
Tue May 6 18:50:07 PDT 2003

On Sunday, May 4, 2003, at 04:35 AM, Jack Rodgers wrote:

> On your keyboard, probably the F5 key, is an FKey with a speaker icon
> and 3 sound waves. Press that the next time you hear the whirring and
> see if the whirring stops. If so, then you have some extension or
> application that is generating a sound through the speakers.
>
> You can also press the F3 key, speaker icon with no sound wave, to
> reduce the speaker volume while the whirring sound occurs. If it now
> is lower in volume, see the above paragraph.
>
> If either or both of these tests prove positive, do a search while in
> the Finder, Command+F, for the word Sound and report what you find.

Finally, did it again! I tried these suggestions and there was no
change. Also, I can feel air blowing out the back...so, it is the fan
as someone suspected. Another thing is that the A/C adapter is glowing
amber like it's recharging the batteries...only thing is, it has been
plugged in all day hence no battery usage....I had the following
open...Camino (thanks again, Kathe), iTunes playing some Celtic music,
SystemPreferences (because I forgot to close it), Mail & Sherlock
(checking out the Movie thing...mine works fine, also). I'm thinking
that Apple should at least double the height of the the foot pads on
the iBook or include a set of stilts with them.

Fran