[P1] the whirring is back! was:new ibook problem...

Ken Anderson kanderson at theglobal.net
Tue May 6 20:46:08 PDT 2003

On Tuesday, May 6, 2003, at 09:38  PM, Brian Olesky wrote:

> Just to give you a frame of reference, I've had my iBook about a year
> now, I
> use it several hours every day, sometimes all day non-stop, and I can't
> recollect ever hearing the fan go on. Not once.
>
> Clearly the problem is either hardware or memory related.
>
> Your hardware, or my memory.
>
> Brian
>

> On 5/6/03 8:50 PM, "Fran Dollinger" <fran at dollingers.com> wrote:
>
>> Also, I can feel air blowing out the back...so, it is the fan
>> as someone suspected.

I too had the noise and at first it scared me to think something was
wrong with my new iBook 800.  I have owned it now for about 7 months
and in that time the fan has only come on twice.  I still don't know
why it came on at those times.  As usual here it sits nice and quiet!

I recall that one of the times the fan came on I had just switched back
to os X from 9.  I rebooted shortly there after and the fan stopped for
the rest of the day.

I'll agree that it is indeed a blow dryer!

Ken