SMC router setup

Joyce Ranieri jranieri at twcny.rr.com
Wed May 7 03:08:21 PDT 2003

I have a home network with the following configuration:
a 600 MHz iBook with an airport card
a new flat-panel 1GHz iMac connected via ethernet wire
an older 400MHz iMac connected via ethernet wire

All are on an SMC wireless router. Now my question -- How can I
configure the router so that the 1GHz iMac will be accessible "on the
road". I'd like to take some of the files off my laptop and leave them
on the home machine, then access them from work if needed. I know how
to get into the setup panel of the router by entering the internet
address -- what I don't understand is what to enter underneath the
public & private ports in order to "open" them. (I think that's the
correct word??)

Also, how can I assign a permanent IP address to that computer so that
it won't change w/ power outages or restarts?

Joyce