[P1] the whirring is back! was:new ibook problem...

Mark Kippert maclists at kippert.com
Wed May 7 09:20:16 PDT 2003

Brian Olesky on 5/6/03 10:38 PM wrote:

> Just to give you a frame of reference, I've had my iBook about a year now, I
> use it several hours every day, sometimes all day non-stop, and I can't
> recollect ever hearing the fan go on. Not once.

Fran's iBook is an 800MHz unit, what is yours? I have an original 500MHz
unit, have never heard the fan kick in, and it's running an average of 12-15
hours per day. Mostly on a desktop but in the evenings it's occasionally on
my lap or sometimes sitting on a cushioned foot rest.

Even with this padding (my lap or the cushion) insulating it and reducing
it's ability to dissipate heat, I have yet to invoke the use of the fan.
Logically I can only assume my processor does not generate the amount of
heat the later models do.

Prior to purchasing the iBook I had a PowerBook G3 (Wallstreet). The only
time the fan kicked on was if I reset the power manager. It only buzzed for
a second or two but I could easily imagine that the fan would be quite
annoying if it actually ran when necessary. I would guess that the fans
installed in most powerbooks/laptops are not of the highest engineering
standards and as such were not well balanced. So once they kick in, they
generate a lot of noise and vibration (at least for their size).

-Mark