[P1] Faxing in OSX

Mike Beede beede at visi.com
Thu May 8 06:34:46 PDT 2003

On Thursday, May 8, 2003, at 08:19 US/Central, Brian Olesky wrote:

> Then why do you have a standalone fax?

I think we can accept for the purposes of discussion
that he *has* a standalone fax, and that he wants to
use his Mac for faxing instead.  There are many possible
reasons he might have one, but I don't really see any
relevance to the problem.  I get the feeling you're
trying to explore the requirement to see if something else
would satisfy it, and I applaud that, but there doesn't
seem to be a lot of flex here.

As I recall, the subject wants to hook his DSL modem, a
phone, the Mac, and a standalone fax to the same line.
The simplest way to do that is to get a 1-into-2 jack
and a 1-into-3 jack.  I believe you can get both at
Micro Center, Radio Shack, or wherever.  Plug the 1::2
into the wall.  Plug the DSL filter into one side, and
the DSL modem into the other side.  Then put the 1::3
into the filter and plug all the other stuff into it
(fax, Mac, and phone).

I can't comment on fax software, since I use a
stand-alone fax.  Most documents I fax I want to
keep a paper copy of, and it's convenient to be
able to make copies vs. dinking with a one-page
scanner.

Regards,

	Mike