[P1] Faxing in OSX

Joe Jones joham at jo-ham.com
Fri May 9 11:05:41 PDT 2003

i was under the impression that DSL and voice signals were carried on
the same pair of wires in the phone system - the technology was
certainly designed this way and it's how it operates here in the UK.

The DSL signals use a much higher frequency than analogue phone signals
so the two can coexist on the same pair and be easily filtered apart at
both ends by micofilter devices.

Bell's DSL install might be different - or perhaps they tell you that
you /must/ have a different phone line for things like fax machines and
voice calls so they can charge you for multiple lines.

The dsl signal on a voice line can interfere slightly with the analogue
part, but not much. Enough to reduce the maximum speed of a standard
dialup modem, but nothing that makes it unusable for voice and data.

Joe