[P1] DiskWarrior 3 is finally available!!!

Harry D. Corsover harry at corsazzi.com
Sat May 10 16:17:58 PDT 2003

----- On 5/9/03 11:31 PM MDT (-0600), Jay Boshara <jboshara at mchsi.com>
wrote, in part:

>DiskWarrior is finally available in in an OS X-native version (3.0)!  Does
>anyone have it yet?  If so, how well does it work?  Does it defragment your
>drive?  As I understand it, the last version of DiskWarrior did not have its
>own defragmenter built in, but they included another program on the
>DiskWarrior CD called PlusOptimizer that was a defragmenter.  However, a
>quick review of the Alsoft website gives me the impression that DiskWarrior
>3.0 does now have a defragmenting function that they call "optimizing".  Is
>that the same thing as defragmenting?
>
>Jay Boshara.

Hi Jay,

I haven't seen 3.0 yet, but from my reading of the site, Plus Optimizer
is not included. You can still run it from the 2.1 disk if you boot into
OS 9.x. As for defragmenting and optimizing:

Defragmenting means putting all the pieces of individual files in
contiguous physical locations on the disk. That can be done and you can
still have lots of large and small unused blocks (e.g., leaving no large
contiguous blocks available -- which some programs need).

Optimizing means doing the above and then moving things around so that
all of the free space is contiguous. There are specific schemes for doing
this, some keeping directories at the beginning of the drive, and some
even keeping different kinds of files in different areas of the disk. I
even remember one that let you choose the kind of things you do with your
computer, and optimized differently according to that choice. With
today's large and fast drives, I think this has become less important.

Hope this helps,

Harry
P.S. I can't boot my new eMac from the DiskWarrier 2.1 disk, since it has
OS 9.1 as the boot system and the eMac requires OS 9.2. Can anyone tell
me exactly what files I need to have on a CD if I burn a Utility disk so
I can boot into OS 9.2.2? (Apple tech support told me that they couldn't
tell me that "for legal reasons.") Thanks!

Get and send email on any phone just by talking! 30 day FREE Trial.
<http://www.hc.MessageWize.com>