[P1] Battery Alert

Paul Bernhardt pbern10 at xmission.com
Sun May 11 11:54:42 PDT 2003

Marc van Gemert said on 5/9/03 11:20 AM:

>On 09-05-2003, Brian Pearce <bpearce at cloud9.net> wrote:
>

>>Now that you mention it, I've seen quite a few reports (mostly
>>on
>>TidBITS Talk, I think) of the "low battery" dialog box warning
>>
>>disappearing after upgrading to 10.2.5; it's happened to me, as
>>well
>
>Haven't seen this sypmtom on the iBook 900 I prepared for a friend of mine
>with 10.2.5, when the battery is low, he will get that dialog. The only
>thing I didn't install was the Java update (1.4.1 IIRC), haven't updated
>to 10.2.6 either.

This is similar to what I was posting the other day.

Battery life seemed to be shortening... then it would suddenly drop to
zero with no battery warning going to sleep. Wierd.

By the way, helpers here were very helpful!

It was a bad battery (some have suggested lots of batteries from the
summer of 02 were bad, mine was an August 02 iBook).

Anyway, I called Apple. In 10 minutes I was talking with someone. He was
very patient as I tried to reproduce the problem while on the phone. I
would read off batter life numbers (and percentages) while playing music
in iTunes (with Visualizer running) and it all happened as before. The
tech put a battery in the mail for me immediately, arrived before 24
hours passed. The mailing label was designed so that I simply tore off
the top and gave my old battery back to Airborne Express for it to return
to Apple. Couldn't be simpler.

Since my machine was less than a year old, it was in warranty.

When you are talking on the phone make sure they know you suspect
hardware so that it is within warranty even if you have not bought Apple
Care.

Paul