[P1] Ibook combo drive cannot read SuperDrive created DVD-Rs ???

Charles Pearce charlesp at ksu.edu
Wed May 14 06:05:14 PDT 2003

On Tuesday, May 13, 2003, at 07:50  PM, Peter Nacken wrote:

> Surprise ... I tried to read a DVDR someone copied me stuff on (from
> his
> apple iMac) .. And my 500 Mhz Icebook / combodrive / OSX 10.2.6 just
> spits
> the DVDR right out ...
>
> Such an incompatibility among recent macs makes me really wonder ... I
> guess
> I am doing something wrong ???

We had a situation around here (university Journalism program) in which
a faculty member brought me a DVD-R that wouldn't run on a new eMac
that we have for presentation purposes. I popped the DVD-R into my G4
Superdrive and it read just fine. I popped it into my iBook with a
combo-drive and it wouldn't read. "Huh?" I said with just the right
amount of Ellen Feiss inflection, and then asked him what brand of
DVD-R he used. "Some really cheap ones." he said.  I told him to try a
better brand and see what happens. He also burned his DVD-R on his
Phillips DVD burner that's hooked to his TV. Bottom line: see if the
user is trying to get away with a cheap DVD-R before the poor machine
gets blamed.

Charles Pearce (charlesp at ksu.edu)