Is this (weird) wi-fi / iBook setup doable ?

Ian Sidle macmouse4 at attbi.com
Sun May 18 10:47:09 PDT 2003

> I am thinking very hard about getting ISDN here in Fiji, which is
> considered
> "high speed" and "businesses only" .. And thus with about 250 US$ a
> month
> very expensive (but restricted to 500 MB upload/download ! that is 17
> MB a
> day . Wooo hoo)
Wow! What does it cost for dial up then? Over there, are the phones on
the "pay per minute no matter what" phone plan?

> Anyways .. From what I hear, the telecom here offers only one ISDN
> modem (to
> import any other would be against existing laws), and this one has
> only USB
> connectivity ... So .. I cannot plug it into the airport station ....
Assuming they have mac drivers.. Actually it probably does since there
is standard usb-serial-modem drivers in the latest version of mac os x.
Found this out when hooking up a cell phone to my ibook.

> So, it means one of my iBooks will become "grounded" ... Hooked up to
> the
> ISDN modem ... I also know that this then becomes an airport station
> ... BUT
> . Is it possible to connect an airport station to this iBook via
> ethernet
> .. Sharing the internet signal to the airport station, which then
> emits it
> to other ibooks in the house ?
Sure. See no reason why it can't. A bit excessive (I've though about
doing something like this in the past - except two AP's back to back).

> Anyone tried that ?
No, but it should be quite happy. All it takes is ethernet with a
tcp/ip connection on it. Having the ibook run "internet sharing" in mac
os x or ipnetrouter (and so on) would work just fine. Just takes a
little more work to setup.

-Ian