[P1] DSL modem woes in Kuwait

andy letterspackages at telus.net
Sun May 18 22:06:59 PDT 2003

I hate to spout the same old, but it should 'just work'. I'm running
connected via
a D-Link DSL-300I, getting its info from my provider (TELUS) via DHCP.
But,
really, all I did was plug it in, select 'Built in Ethernet' in the
network settings,
pick DHCP from the pulldown menu, and it worked. I'm sure I didn't ever
have
to go that far.

Skip the ISPs install disks. They'll (usually) just try to install the
Windows
modem drivers, which should be built into OS X, and often a re-branded
version of Internet Explorer. Nothing particularly useful, really.

As I'm sure Jack can attest, just because they say it won't work with a
Mac dosen't
mean it's true. My home network is unsupported by my ISP, last I'd
checked,
because I was using a Mac. 4% market share, or not, that's
unreasonable. He
just has to be brave-- and mailing lists like these have always been
better
support for me than any phone tech.

Next time the net tech shows up, all I could really suggest is to plug
it in and
see what happens!

    andy

    letterspackages at telus.net