Apple MusicStore 'opinion article'

Charles Martin chasm at mac.com
Wed May 21 13:36:29 PDT 2003

> From: Fran Dollinger <fran at dollingers.com>
>
>   Please forgive the length of this post....I tried to send just a link
> but when I clicked on the link to returned "Item Not Found".

No lecture, but I wanted you to know that it's not legal to reprint a
copyrighted article verbatim like this.

The proper way to quote things like this is to reprint the first
paragraph/sentence or two, then supply a URL where interested parties
can read the full thing. Makes more sense too (less bandwidth used,
people who aren't interested don't have to scroll, writer gets more
hits/$$ from his employer, rights preserved).

> Mark is a columnist for the SF Chronicle (Morning Fix)
> A little OT but thought maybe some might like to see it....

It's was of interest, certainly, but what I really can't understand is
why a seemingly smart guy like Mark can't just *call up Apple and ask
them* if the artist gets paid.

For the record: of course the artists get paid! They get EXACTLY the
SAME MONEY they would get if you went into a store and bought the
album. The cut that the record companies keep (approx. 65 cents of each
99 cent song) is the same as the cut they get from retail (a little
more actually, since they don't have to spend money manufacturing
physical CDs/jackets/paying distributors).

The only people that are not getting paid are the corporate
whore-stores, who routinely keep everything above $10 of what YOU pay
for store-bought CDs.

ONE phone call to Apple's marketing people was all it took me to find
that out. Wow, I must be a super-journalist!

What Mark completely fails to understand is that NOBODY is stopping
artists from selling direct (through Apple or any other channel) and
getting a bigger slice of the pie. Artists like Todd Rundgren, Elvis
Costello, Christopher Cross (!), David Bowie, Roger McGuinn and Joe
Jackson have been doing this for YEARS. Apple's structure allows for
this, and it's only a matter of time before it happens. Apple was
*absolutely right* to score the "big five" first (the popular music
that accounts for 80 percent of all music sales) and *then* add indies,
artists-direct, big-five back catalogue and so on LATER. Who knew the
other 20 percent (and I count myself among them!) could whine SO LOUDLY?

Apple's success (which will happen in spite of short-sighted,
mean-spirited "hindsight experts" like Mark Morford) is the death
sentence of the modern record company as we know it today. Record
companies will continue to thrive and exist, but they will be
promotional entities designed to push hot NEW mainstream acts and their
healthy back catalogues only; the rest of the new and interesting old
music will come from artists or artists' confederations directly. Pity
he doesn't have the vision to see it.

_Chas_

"With the introduction of the new iTunes Music Store, we've now built
the  first real complete ecosystem for the digital music age. We've got
a way to buy music online legally that's fantastic — it's better than
any other way to acquire music. We've got a way manage music with the
iTunes  Jukebox, which is the best in the world. And we've got a way to
listen to music on the go with the iPod, which is the most popular MP3
player in the world and one of the coolest things in the world. So
we've really got, from one end to another, a complete solution for
digital music. We're the only people in the world to do this, so we
feel great about it." — Steve Jobs, Time Magazine, 30-April-03