More Windows Media Player Trouble

gooddogcomics at mac.com gooddogcomics at mac.com
Thu May 22 04:27:10 PDT 2003

On Thursday, May 22, 2003, at 02:01 AM, iBook List wrote:

> Date: Wed, 21 May 2003 16:57:16 -0700
> Subject: Re: [P1] More Windows Media Player Trouble
> From: Ian Sidle <macmouse4 at attbi.com>
>
>> When I followed the links I found I was unable to completely play the
>> webcast on the free Media Player for OS X I had just downloaded: I was
>> missing audio.  The picture worked, but no sound.
>>
>> I copied the file into my Virtual PC XP, but it wouldn't read the file
>> at all when I started up the Windows native Media Player.
>>
>> Can anyone suggest any possible solutions?  I'm dying to see Gates
>> after having seen Jobs for the first time introducing the Music Store.
>
> Can be many. What is the file extension? .asf? .wmf? .avi?

I got two kinds of files: .asf and .asx.   Neither of them worked in
VPC6. But I figured out it was because I'm probably not hooked up to
dsl in the Windows configurations settings for the internet. Haven't
figured that out, yet, either.  Perhaps if I get that hooked up, the
streaming will work.

However, in the Mac OSX MPlayer, I got pix but no sound.  And, yes, I
tried turning up every volume knob because I have, in the past, been
very guilty of thinking the world was coming to an end only to find out
my knob was down.

;-)

> In reality, all of the windows media formats are in reality just
> contain audio and video codec "foobar". [just like quicktime]
> Generally, its one form or the other of mpeg-4. So you need an
> additional codec or "driver" in order to play those files. Most files
> generated by "amateur" video editors and use mp3 for audio and divx
> [mpeg-4] for video. Is it an actually *stream* file (i.e. the file is
> like >20k) which just points to a stream server or is it a self
> containing media file?
>
> If its a stream - then your pretty much out of luck. Go find a windows
> machine :(.

I AM on a Windows machine, aren't I with VPC6 XP?  I thought that was
the whole point of VPC.

Thanks for your help.

Mark