[P1] OK drive for icebook swap?

Dan Farley danfarley at mac.com
Mon May 26 12:14:15 PDT 2003

> I'm considering the daring task of upgrading my Icebook HD.  I've been
> looking at this fluid bearing 40gb Toshiba drive.
>
> http://www.googlegear.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=101606
>
> It's 5400rpm, but I'm hoping the fluid will offset the extra heat.  It's
> hard to beat the extra speed AND 16MB of cache.  Anyone have any advice,
> cautionary tales, or other info on the subject?  Also, how might it affect
> battery life?

That's the very drive I self installed in my icebook 500. I installed an IBM
40 GB 5400 8MB in my wife's clamshell 300. No speed comparisons are possibel
given different configurations - buy will say that when the IBM access or
writes data that it is significantly quieter than my Toshiba.

Installation is sort of like massive surgery. Make sure you have a system to
keep track of the many different sizes of screws you'll take out. Actually
cracking (snapping off) the bottom case from the frame was way too exciting.

Enjoy the fun.

Dan