[P1] Sleep or Shutdown?

Mike Beede beede at visi.com
Tue May 27 21:43:18 PDT 2003

> Do you use software to run the "chron" (cron ?) functions for OS X
> maintenance. I have my macs set to sleep after a few minutes of
> non-use and I've never dealt with this issue head on.

I have nothing I want cron to do on my laptop.  The documentation
suggests that cron will *not* run jobs when sleep ends--the time
lost to sleep is also lost to cron.  There are versions of cron
which do catch up on missed jobs, but it would be some work to
change the version you use.

Considering how fast present-day machines are, you might consider
scheduling jobs more frequently--if you need them to run once a
day, schedule them for once an hour, and so on.  I don't know if
that would be reasonable in your case.

Of course, if the system is shut down vs. sleeping, cron jobs
won't run either....

Regards,

	Mike