Sleep or Shutdown?

Charles Martin chasm at mac.com
Thu May 29 09:41:47 PDT 2003

> From: Brian Olesky <brian4 at sbcglobal.net>
>
> How does Cocktail compare to MacJanitor, which I read about on this
> list I
> think, and which I've been using for 6 or 8 months now? Do they both
> do the
> same thing? Does one do it better?

Excellent question, something I've been meaning to write about for some
time.

IMHO, Cocktail is a successor to MacJanitor. When it comes to MJ's
primary function (deleting/rotating log files), both do exactly the
same thing -- invoke a UNIX "housekeeping" routine. Mac OS X actually
does this automatically, but only if the machine is awake and running
at 4:30am each day -- probably not the case for most of us, thus the
need for the programs.

Cocktail, unlike MacJanitor, has many other functions. It also cleans
out caches (very handy), repairs permissions, re-prebinds files*,
customises the Dock and Finder, optimises a broadband connection and
more. But what I really like is that I can set up Auto-Pilot in
Cocktail, walk away for 5-10 minutes and come back to find the machine
all spiffed up and rebooted. Other than invoke the program, I don't
have to do anything or know anything. :)

Oh, that and it's FREE. Did I mention free? :)

*no, I don't really understand prebinding fully, or why you would need
to do it repeatedly. Ask some UNIX guru.

_Chas_

Q: How many Microsoft programmers does it take to write a great piece
of software?

A: More!