To Partition or...!

Charles Martin chasm at mac.com
Fri May 30 00:54:44 PDT 2003

> From: Stephen Hywyn Jones <Steve at hywyn.plus.com>
>
> I've been advised that "partitioning" is the only way to go, but given
> that
> ibooks now install both operating systems in the same sector as
> default, I'm
> hoping that their advice is based on old knowledge, and that the new
> ibooks
> and operating systems are less prone to crashes.

Partitioning has nothing to do with any crashes. Just leave it the way
Apple sent it to you unless you have some VERY SPECIFIC reason for
doing otherwise.

> I'm also curious of something Apple Tech Support told me, -  that
> partitioning tears the disk, and slows the read/write times
> substantially.
> Would this be something to be concerned about?

More malarky. "Tears" the disk my arse. It *might* conceivably slow the
read/write speed a small amount, I suppose, but really this is just
pure BS.

> I'll be using my ibook 800Mhz 14" along with a firewire audio
> interface as
> an audio playback device, streaming 8 channels of 16bit audio for an
> hour
> long live set.
> I've thought that a seperate, daisy-chained firewire drive, despite
> being
> another device to hook up, may be a safer option. Unless that puts a
> strain
> on the only firewire buss the ibook has.

While that's a lot of audio you're pushing round, I should think it
would take quite a bit more of it to get anywhere near the saturation
point.

The advantage of an external drive is that they tend to be faster
(7200rpm as opposed to the iBook's 4200 or 5400 rpm drive). I would
recommend the external FW route.

_Chas_

Two studies in "Innovation":
28-Apr-03: Apple introduces revolutionary legal music service (300,000
downloads @ .99/ea on the first day), releases iTunes4 (by far the best
jukebox software in the world), updates Quicktime to encode AAC audio
(superior to MP3).

30-Apr-03: Microsoft's MSN division introduces the iLoo, a portable
toilet with internet access. A week later, they claim it was "a hoax"
they played on themselves. A day after that, they admit it was a real
product but it's now been killed (and that they lied when they called
it a "April Fool's joke"). This from the company that wants to bring
you "Trustworthy Computing."