[P1] Panther on 366 iBook SE

tinman heart93 at woh.rr.com
Sun Nov 2 13:07:33 PST 2003

Jay,

I did make the upgrade from Jag to Panther on the same setup you
describe - iBook SE 366 / RAM maxed at 320 MB.  Overall, I would
estimate (I don't have any actual benchmarks) about 15-20% improvement
in basic system & Finder speed. Not only do I notice the speed boost,
but things seem to be smoother in operation. I don't run Photoshop on
this machine, but Office & Acrobat are still a little slow to load
(although scrolling through documents is a little quicker). I don't use
this machine as my main workhorse (that's what my G4 iMac is for) & am
very happy with what it is. I don't get the eye candy, but I don't
really care about that stuff. It's a trade off I have accepted for ease
of use & stability.

My overall recommendation is this...if you are able to acquire it
through an educational channel for $69, then it is a worthwhile upgrade
from Jag. I don't know if I would drop the full upgrade price on it. If
you are moving from OS9 & want to get into OSX, this is the upgrade you
are looking for.

HTH

tinman

heart93 at woh.rr.com