[P1] Compatibility issues with Panther

Brian Pearce bpearce at cloud9.net
Mon Nov 3 07:25:19 PST 2003

> I presume there're people already using the new Apple OS so any
> compatibility problems with existing, third party software should've
> appeared, if any.
>
> So what's up? Anybody had problems with existing drivers, programs,
> etc?

Remove any third-party System Preference panes before you start. Repair
Permissions and, if you can, repair any damage to the disc before you
install. Then Repair Permissions after you install.

The worst of it seems to be loss of data with some FireWire drives
under certain conditions; you'll want to avoid having one attatched to
your computer when you restart or shut down. (For the most part, it
looks like you can safely use one otherwise.)

And if you do a "Clean Install" and Repair Permissions after, your
printing may be bolloxed up; but there are quick and easy solutions to
fix this problem.

There are scattered (and uncorroborated) reports of other problems, but
these two seem to be the worst of them that I've seen. It's been
working great for me.

BRIAN/bpearce at cloud9.net