[P1] 17" Laptops

John Paul Moore johnpaulmoore at austin.rr.com
Mon Nov 3 16:20:46 PST 2003

Whoa, dude, is there a new computer show on Fox News? I have got to go
textual on one paragraph of your post because it had among the highest
of old mac misperceptions as any I've seen. Moore below V

On Monday, November 3, 2003, at 04:22 PM, Remell Boyer wrote:

> There are a few things that you have to admit:  Macs are more
> expensive, no matter which way you slice the "get what you pay
> for/value argument".

Actually, we need admit no such thing. Gartner and others over the
years have documented the total cost of ownership of peecees, counting
support costs, time wasted catering to the device and its kludgy
software, time wasted with never-ending viruses, tedious and demanding
networking procedures, hold time at tech support and user frustration
combine to make the life-span of a typical peecee far more expensive
than a Mac. This assumes, of course, that you consider your own time
worth anything. I do. For doing the work I do, not for futzing w a
poorly performing tool.

> They are slower,

Oh? By what measure? The numbers on the box or actual performance of
tasks? Are you familiar with the differences between RISC and CISC?

>  they less flexible with hardware choices,

This is as close as you came to factual, but it is way out of date.
Back when we all had to have custom apple connectors for everything,
there was truth to this, but that is so old millennium now. When Apple
embraced and innovated usb and firewire standards, that sort of
argument began taking lots of water and is pretty much a wet old hat
today.

> and mostly behind the technology curve.  For as many innovations as
> Apple introduces, there are many more that they miss.

Really? Who is it that's shipping a 64 bit machine today? And who did
it first? But more important, just what is it that Microsoft or Dell
have successfully innovated? The real point is, if Apple weren't
continuing to innovate in the consumer space, I am not at all sure
anybody would, and you might still be working on floppies.

Seriously, I spent last year trying to torture the work I needed to do
out of a high-dollar, professionally supported NT system. I finally
gave up and brought in my old Powerbook just so I could get my work out
and then mail it to myself at the office. For my money, it's the
difference between a new BMW and an old Chevy Nova. I am as tired of
anyone of the OS holy wars, and want to be nice too, but in computers
as anything else it's better to look around before you buy a lie. best,
jpm